It is possible to connect your PS4 DualShock 4 controller to your Windows PC, bluetooth and USB. If you have already tested the thing, you already know that the controller is not natively compatible with Windows. Follow this tutorial to get around this limit and enjoy your favorite controller for playing your favorite games on PC!
Natively, PlayStation controllers are not recognized by Windows. Fortunately, thanks to a program to make the operating system believe that your controller is an Xbox controller. And there, miracle: you can use it to play all your favorite games on PC with your favorite controller! Rest assured, this is perfectly stable, and requires no special technical knowledge.
How to connect your PS4 DualShock 4 controller to a Windows 10 and earlier PC
To do this:
- Download DS4Windows by clicking here
- Locate the .zip file and right-click to extract its contents in the folder of your choice
- Launch DS4Windows.exe
- Click Install the DS4 Driver
- If you are running Windows 7, also click Install 360 Driver
Connect your controller with the USB cable
- Plug in your controller
- The controller is normally automatically detected and you can immediately start playing
Connect your controller to Bluetooth
- On the controller, keep the PS and Sharing buttons pressed for 3 seconds
- The light bar will blink twice
- Go to Windows Bluetooth Settings
- Connect Wireless Controller
- If Windows asks you, enter the pairing code 0000
How to connect your PS4 controller to a PC via Steam
Steam can also configure your controller for you for some games. For that :
- Update Steam to be sure you have the latest version
- Connect your joystick
- Test with a game
How to connect your PS4 controller to a Linux PC
DualShock 4 controllers are natively supported by most Linux distributions. So just connect your controller via its USB cable or via Bluetooth.
Have you had any difficulties? Any suggestions for improving this guide? Share your feedback in the comments!